View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2021, 05:05 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clutch slave spring mount

That grinding in reverse and granny is what I began experiencing a few years ago and have been fighting ever since.
It is caused by the failure of the pressure plate to fully release the driven disc and the tranny gears continuing to rotate.
It can be "adjusted" away by lengthening the slave control rod to give the throwout bearing more movement, hence earlier and greater disc release.
This solves the grinding problem in the non-synchro gears, but at the expense of never fully freeing up the t/o bearing, making it in continuous contact with the release levers (or diaphragm) and turning continuously. Sort of like the worst "riding" the clutch possible.
Eventually the t/o bearing fails and takes the levers, the big main lever and the pilot bearing with it.
See my posts in related threads.
Clutches and parts are not available anywhere I could find and I had to replace the release levers with some I got from the trash barrel of a reman place.
I think I may have gotten one of two "long style" t/o bearings in existence from National through O'Reilly for about 70 bucks.
It has been a big job and one I still have not fully solved, with the lack of balance between free play and disc release still existing.
I still hope that the folks here have a fix.
Two things that don't help are "hydraulic clutches don't need adjustment" and "why don't you just put a 12" clutch in it."