Thread: Tall 15" tires?
View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2022, 05:25 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tall 15" tires?

Now on to the the preparing the tire installation. The tires have a tube, and another item called a liner that protects the tube from touching the inside surface of the rim. One has to first install the tube, inflate it to straighten out the creases and let the air out, then the liner is installed, it is pretty wide and goes down each side of the tube about 4", repeat the inflation deflation routine again to get everything to seat. Now position the tire on the rim and slide the valve nozzle into the hole on the rim and the tire assembly will slide onto the rim with no efforts. Nice not having to pry over the outside rim. the outside rim is positioned over the hub, the lock ring goes on top and then the outside of the rim is pushed down the hub for abut 2-3 inches exposing the groove in the rim for the retaining ring. the ring is positioned by prying over the edge onto the groove all the way around. After it snaps into place it is OK to inflate your tire.
I ended up using tires from Specialty Tire of America, I was so happy with the installation I ordered 2 new highway ones for the front too.

Interesting note, I priced the tires from Coker and they quoted shipping of $150, but when I ordered them from Jegs, shipping was free, same price per unit.