View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2014, 11:31 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mini-Meets/Get-Togethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Okay... So the other day I get a PM from RustyNut, telling me he found something for my camper and he was going to mail it to me.

Later at the post office, we have a card in our box from the post office stating we have a package that is "Too large" and we must pick up from the window... (our box is about 5" square) I remember thinking, it must not be a keychain then.

Another trip back to the post office during window hours and gave them the notification card... The guys returns with this huge (flat) package, that must be about 3' square. Package marked "Please DO NOT BEND". Wow! This package is so big I don't know if it'll fit in my JEEP without bending.

Hummm... maybe it's a piece of vintage camper siding??? Like a kid at Christmas, I couldn't wait until I got home, so I took one of my keys and opened one edge of the package while at the post office... Looking inside, I see a T-shirt with a piece of tin inside of it... I pulled the tin out and was surprised to see, the beer bottle label I copied my camper stripes from. RustyNut The tin is over 2' dia and Dave had to use a 2XL shirt to cover it.

See, I told you guys I couldn't take credit for the paint stripe design. To give you a little more background on the paint stripe... Every winter I get one of Kansas City Boulevard's mixed 12 pk. Several winters ago after working a long day on the GMC, I rewarded myself with a cold beer. While sitting out in the garage sipping my beer, staring at the truck, still day dreaming about getting a vintage camper someday... I glanced at the label on the beer bottle that I was holding in my hand, not knowing what it was (being a mixed pk), and I fell in love with the camper design. That is when I decided I would use that stripe design, except color match my truck. After I finished that beer, I carefully placed the bottle on the shelf as a reminder.

Thank you Dave!!! That was very thoughtful of you. What's ironic... A while back, I searched trying to find something similar and I never found anything on the web, except a belt buckle (and I don't wear belts). Great find!
Hi David, very cool to see that logo from the bottle you got your idea from! What a gift. Camper looks great too, thanks for the story and pics!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday