View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:40 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

Quote:
That does look like they did a pretty nice job on the conversion.
If its rare, I think Toms idea of exploring what you have and swapping out the brakes etc might be a good place to start. Heck put some airbags under it if you want a really nice ride.
As you know I am not a machinist but I think I am close to getting the lathe up and running so If you need something custom made I will help any way I can. Im not trying to talk you out of the 3500 chassis though, its yours it you want it.
Bus: Every project I start on. When I'm around it, I feel like I'm standing on the hub of a wagon wheel, and don't know which spoke to follow. I find my self looking down all of them playing which is the best, safest, parts availability, easiest, and cost. I'm at that stage on this right now.
I really appreciate any input, and suggestions others on site offers, as they make me think outside-my-little-box.

No, I don't feel your pushing the 3500 at all. It's a compliment that you've offered it, But darn sure nice I have it there as an option. Please don't let me ever interfere with anything you might decide to do with it in the future, tho.
Who knows, you might wake up some morning all ambitious and want to bring her back to her former glory stock.

It really grabbed my attention, when I realized that I had two parts trucks in the treasure pile already. I could get the running gear functional pretty cheap and reliable. then work on the interior which that's going to be a lengthy process alone, then if I wanted to update later, I had the option.
I will keep my eye out for a 292 around the rebuild shops here.

I don't ever see using it for a regular user, except maybe going to a local parade, Pioneer celebration, or campground within 50-75 miles now and then and would probably trailer it for that. I doubt I could ever convince my wife to go with me in the old flivver, either.

I decided today to focus on cleaning the remaining junk out of the inside. It would be good chance to really get acquainted with the old buggy, and play the "what if I---" down the spokes.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.