View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2022, 09:53 AM

Truck: 1961 K1001 Suburban
Ledslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 clutch hydraulic hose. All steel, or part rubber?

I had a shop that makes hydraulic hoses make the main clutch hose section. Cost $35, they did a nice job. Bleeding was a trick, for some reason flow was restricted for a while, maybe in the new master cylinder. Put teflon tape on the bleed screw threads so all the vacuum from the Mityvac would pull through the hose. Took high vacuum to get any fluid moving, then suddenly it was free flowing.

The clutch pedal pivot was tight, so I took the pedal out and cleaned and lubed the bushings. I noticed no clutch pedal return spring. I concluded the hydraulic clutch system didn't need one since it has the return spring on the clutch fork, and there was no evidence there ever was a return spring on the pedal.

Do hydraulic clutch trucks use a pedal return spring or is the one on the clutch fork the only one needed?

An update on the construction of the hose, it isn't a rubber section that steel sections thread into in both ends. A flare nut screws into a fitting at the master cylinder end of the the hose, but the end towards the slave cylinder has the rubber hose swaged to the steel section.

Last edited by Ledslinger; November 15th, 2022 at 02:43 PM.