View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2022, 01:52 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Hi Rolland, I did not use the rope seal that was in the FelPro kit. For the last three stovebolt inline six engine I have assembled I went with Best Gasket rear main seals. The later blocks 1955 and later I used their rubber lip seals, which are the best out there IMHO. The earlier blocks I used a rope seal provided by Olson Gasket here in Port Orchard, WA. They build obsolete gasket kits for farm tractors and obsolete vehicles of all makes and models. They advised against the newer rope seals available. The asbestos ropes are all long gone unless you have an old gasket kit, So I had them provide me with their own version of rope seal available for the 305. They advised to install dry, I used a little of "permatex 2" along the outside edge of the three sides of the bearing cap surface/block, and they also included the two skinny side bearing seals for the rear main cap to go with. I used very lightly permatex 2 on these too. Like all rear mains installs, take a deep breath and hold it and wait for the first engine run cycle. For some odd reason I don't have too much anguish over it this time. Probably just my ignorance. I'll have some pictures of your wonderful pistons shortly.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump

Last edited by tbucketnut; November 30th, 2022 at 02:00 PM.