View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:34 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I pulled off my alternator today and checked it's model number. It doesn't have one. All it says is "Made in the USA".

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I looked on Jolly's site and it says Delco 12SI was a popular model to put on the 305V6 so I searched out the internals of the 12SI. It didn't match. So I took it apart and looked at the innards. The only number I could find was on the rectifier. I didn't know what a rectifier was when I started, but research showed it to be this

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

That rectifier only fits in a handful of alternators. The one that looked most like mine was a 120 amp 17SI. So we'll be working off of the assumption that this is a 17SI with a double pulley.

I grabbed another junky old towel. This time a white one with threadbare spots and strings coming out of the ends. I couldn't use the green towel. This alternator is racist.

So first I flipped it over. There are four screw/bolt fasteners on this side. You can get them off with a nut driver....

With an assistant because they're really in there...

Now that the four screws are out, take a look at the alternator back. You need to remember the plug's position in relation to the top screw hole so you can reassemble it exactly as it was. YOURS MIGHT NOT LOOK LIKE MINE.

With the screw/bolty things out you can now very gently pull the back off of the alternator. Like cracking an egg!

When you take them apart you'll hear a SPROING! sound as the brushes pop free from their guides. Don't worry. They're tethered by a wire.

Now reach in with your nut driver and release these three nuts that tie the wires wound around the outside to the innards.

Then you can free up the winding part. It probably won't come out easy, you'll have to rock it back and forth a bit but be careful! You don't want to mess it up.