View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2021, 04:58 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: GMC V-6 ignition question

The Heathkit Capacitive Discharge appears to be the same unit sold as the Delta Mark 10. We put one in the 68 GMC back in 1974, it basically piggy backs on the the ignition coil as I do recall and it doesn't do away with the points. Basically its the predecessor to the MSD6AL. Ran the Delta box for 11 years, about 5 years after installing it my father was driving the truck and it went dead on him, the ignition coil had be replaced. After the truck was handed down to me, some 3 years later I noticed the tach needle bouncing around and not reading accurately, I went so far as to buy a new Factory Tach and still no difference until I disconnected the Delta box to reveal another dead coil. I can assume this Capacitive Discharge box was blowing coils but Ironically after it blew the coil it just did the job as a coil and kept the engine running just fine but was throwing off my Tach, I removed it for good and put in a new coil with the intentions of switching to a true Breakerless electronic ignition so then came the Buick HEI conversion and that was the best thing next to the Holley 500 upgrade.