View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2021, 05:54 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Stuck engine -- Now what???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
I remember this topic being discussed a few years ago too. I think you're on the right track using penetrating oil and a longer breaker bar. Repeating the process over a period of days, attempting to turn the engine over in both directions may free it up for you. Try using a pipe extension on your breaker bar too, and hitting the end of it with a big hammer.
Agree with Ed on most of it but not the longer pipe and hitting with a hammer. That would probably work if pistons were just a bit locked by rust, after soaking. But if valve train/valves are stuck or timing chain jammed, etc. that would create more damage. Use measured caution until you detect some movement after soak. Rock the crank back and forth, mostly CW. Plugs need to be out during turning.
Since history is unknown, you may want to:
1. Take valve covers off and inspect valve train/springs. I've seen folks bang on top of valve end of rocker with rubber mallet to see which valves are stuck and won't spring at all. They smack it hard enough to overcome the spring tension. Slightly.
2. Be sure starter pinion is not jammed into fly wheel.
3. Soak with almost anything and a combo if you want MMO, kerosene, rust penetrant, carb cleaner........ down each plug hole, down the valve train.
4. Back and forth on the crank shaft, steady as you go, eventually is will make a whole revolution. It will take awhile.

Last edited by AZKen; November 1st, 2021 at 04:44 PM.