Thread: Fuel Pump
View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2022, 01:02 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fuel Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky61 View Post
I had read online and other websites that if you had an electric fuel pump connected to a mechanical and the diaphragm were to rupture, you would be sending fuel into your crankcase. That is the reason I did not connect them in line.
I know the mechanicals are prone to failure and there was discussion here as to why that might be; old stock sitting too long on the shelf, or the ethanol eating away the diaphragm etc.

Im curious too Ed how yours is set up
Mine are inline. The electric is bolted to the frame down below the mechanical one. When my mechanical failed and I drove home on the electrical pump, I changed the oil along with installing a new mechanical pump. Evidently no harm was done. The engine still runs fine 20 years later.

If you're running an electric pump only, you definitely want to bypass the mechanical pump.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435