View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2022, 04:20 AM

Truck: 64 PU
Dano64 is on a distinguished road
Default Fixing steering hack job

Hi guys and gals.

So my rag joint exploded. Which led me to the discovery that my steering column was gloriously modified. Power steering was added and I have a Frankencolumn. To whoever’s credit did the work, it does steer nicely until the rag joint exploded, but looking at it … it doesn’t look so good.

Rag joint at the bottom of the power steering pump, 30 tooth spline, three-quarter inch, very short distance to universal joint then a telescopic section welded to a round shaft. Shouldn’t the telescopic section be between the two joints, low in the system?

More randomness… Somebody ground off the back of the steering wheel, about a quarter inch, may be a bit less, in what appears like an effort to make it shallower. I’m guessing maybe they cut the steering column too short.

Also, the lower support bearing or bushing that sits in front of the firewall is totally shot. I found a new one of these on Summit.

Does anybody have pictures or answers to my current mysteries? Like…

Is the top part of this steering column original?

Did this originally have a rag joint only? I suppose it doesn’t matter since the current set up is probably offset and requires two pivot points.

My uncle Dickie says these trucks would’ve had the rag joint at the top and a universal at the power steering pump. Is he right? He often is.

I’m trying to piece together a solution. Pictures are what I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk