View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2016, 12:11 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Question Looking for suggestions

Hello all,
As I'm still really new to this type of thing, I'm after some advice. I guess the biggest part that I'm not sure of is where to start (if that makes any sense).

I've recently(ish) purchased a 1961 step-side with a 305D under the hood. My hope is to get it to where it's a reliable daily driver. But, it's also the kind of thing where I'm quite happy improving it over an extended period of time.

I'm less interested in worrying about things like paint etc.... That stuff is certainly on the list, but the goal is to have a respectable truck that gets some use, rather than a show-pony. I'm certainly not interested in trying to turn it into something that it isn't (no hotting it up or anything like that).

So, for all you folks that have done this a million times, where would you start? That's probably a really silly sounding question. But, at the moment when I look in the garage all I can think about is the thousands of parts that go into a vehicle and I start to get a bit overwhelmed with where to begin.

At the end of this post is a list of what's already been done. I'm open to any and all suggestions really.... Particularly since I'm at the point where I want to do as much of the work on my own as possible.

Anyway, any tips or advice is much appreciated.

General electrical clean-up (removed all of the dodgy wiring. It’s bare bones now)
All belts and hoses
Standard service stuff (fluids, oils changed etc….)
Standard tuning (service distributer, new plugs etc…)
Temp sender
Greased chassis points
New alternator
Exhaust repair
Brake linings and hoses front/rear
Wheel cylinders front/rear
Drums machined
Hub bearings repacked (replaced the rear)
New uni joint
Front shocks
New tires (fun fact, the spare was an old split-rim style. That’s gone)
New headlights and side mirrors
New petrol sending unit