View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2020, 02:35 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

No pictures today. Just another update.

Finally bought a belt for the power steering system. Also changed the brackets for my generator so the belt would be on the second (outer) pulley groove. The power steering and generator are now independent of each other. If a belt snaps, I'll lose either power steering or the generator. Nothing else. I do have plans to eventually convert to an internally regulated alternator. I have the parts, but not the motivation. Lol.

Also bled the power steering. It was not a clean process. It hiccuped while I was doing it and made a lovely puddle of oil on the crossmember... But, at least I can turn the wheel with one hand now. I'll monitor the fittings over the next few days to make sure I don't have any leaks. So far though, everything looks good.

Also bled my cooling system, since I didn't do it after installing the new heater core. That also made a big mess. In the past when I've bled cooling systems, sometimes I'd get small splashes of fluid or a slight mist coming out of the filler neck. Not on Papa Smurf. Coolant decided to come out like a geyser when the thermostat opened. Made a lovely mess, but the process was successful in the end.

Lastly, I dropped quite a bit of money on parts to rebuild the rear brakes on the Dana 60. Parts were a little difficult to find at first, but I think I got all I need. Once all the parts arrive I will post a tutorial and "shopping list" for the Dana 60 to help out anyone else looking for parts. Doing new drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, bearings, and hardware. Also going to modify my hubs to accept the 9/16" wheel studs instead of the OEM 1/2" studs. I don't like running with 2 different sets of lugnuts on front and back.

Before the brakes get done, I want to fix the backfiring issue on Papa Smurf. Pretty sure it's being caused by the large exhaust leak from untorqued nuts at the flange. Not gonna lie, the popping when I rev the engine sounds kinda cool. The reason behind the popping is not as cool though.