View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2020, 10:37 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Quote:
Also going to modify my hubs to accept the 9/16" wheel studs instead of the OEM 1/2" studs. I don't like running with 2 different sets of lugnuts on front and back.
Hm. Knocked out a rear stud and measured it. It measures 9/16" already. Knocked out a stud from the old front end, it measure 1/2". Something isn't adding up. I have good reason to believe that the front was swapped out before I bought it, but the rear looks like it hasn't been moved. Did some GMC Customs come with 9/16" wheel studs? I thought that GM didn't start using that size until 1971-1972. All the research I've done suggests that it should be 1/2".

It is entirely possible that the PO used a Dana 60 out of a different truck, or different hubs were used after it was rebuilt in Minnesota. But it is also possible that my "one year only" truck came with 9/16" studs all around, and the front end swap changed it to 1/2". I'm at a loss. This is a whole new can of worms.

I should be happy that I don't have to drill my hubs. But I don't trust some of the things that the PO did. You've seen some of the damage already. Want to see some more? At least one rear drum is missing the parking brake lever and has all wrong springs. Glad that I was already planning on replacing the whole assembly. Haven't checked the other side yet. I suspect the parking brake works on the other side though, because I can't rotate the wheels with the brake on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200508_122555[1].jpg (2.87 MB, Multiple views, 21 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200508_122934[1].jpg (2.44 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)