View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2016, 07:17 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1967 CM 2500
BobBray will become famous soon enoughBobBray will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1967 gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
Apologies for hijacking the thread but I have to ask Bob a very closely related question right quick while he's on this topic - Bob, since you know a lot about how these engines breathe, I think you can answer this question: the 305A engines have a road draft tube and breather caps in BOTH valve covers - if someone wanted to add the 305E type valve covers to a 305A (Plaid covers for example) then doing this would eliminate one of the two stock breathers because the 305E only used a breather cap on one of the valve covers - not both like the 305A. So my question to you is, would the 305A still "breathe" OK with only one valve cover having a breather cap?
Good question! The deal is that the early 305A's with a road draft tube did not have PCV valves. The air came in through the valve cover beathers and was sucked out through the draft tube. Considering that modern engine oil is a lot less likely to turn to sludge than oil was in the old days, you could probably get by with one breather if you change your oil regularly and don't have a lot of blow-by. I would periodically check under the closed valve cover to make sure you don't have a problem developing. Also, put the cover with the breather on the opposite side of the draft tube.