Thread: Newbe 65 GMC
View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2018, 06:02 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbe

Quote:
first thing I would do is drain the fluids (oil, coolant, gear lube) and replace them with fresh fluids. Also, change the filters (oil, gas, air if equipped with a paper element, and the crankcase breather filter), tune the engine, clean out the gas tank, blow out the fuel lines, check brake fluid level, and so forth. If the engine is equipped with an oil-bath air cleaner, you can use some of the oil you drained out of the oil pan, mix it with k-1 kerosene (50/50 ratio), and you should be good to go. After the engine gets to operating temp., turn it off, remove the valve covers and set the valve lash clearances for both intake and exhaust valves. Intake valve lash is .012"H, exhaust lash is .018"H.
I agree with Lewis. All I can say is be sure to thoroughly clean the fuel system (including the fuel lines). If any of that old gas is in the system and you get the engine running. That fuel crud will cause the intake valves to stick, which will open the door to a big problems. This is what happen to a friend of mine 305 V6.

Being it been sitting for 20 a new fuel pump should be needed.

Welcome to the club.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?