View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2015, 04:44 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yikes!!! 305E V6 knocking like crazy!

Ok so I'l explain the story of this truck. So I bought it from a guy exactly 3 weeks ago. Ran like crap...misfired like crazy. Limped it home(3 miles) and checked the plug order to make sure all was well. Found out 4 and 6 were crossed. fixed that and the thing ran like new. Snappy, fired up everytime, carb is crapped out so its a little hesitant but is a great cruiser. Anyhow...skip two weeks later and I'm driving to a friend's house...thing runs great the whole way there....let it sit for a few hours....and on the way home not even half way it starts running crap...hesitates...stumbles...(idles ok) and is not all at wanting to stay at high rpm. So zoom home as quickly as it will go(mind you its 10 pm and I'm wanting to get home. (lol) Get home and park it. So a few days later I fire it up...still runs like crap. Put new plug wires on it and that helps a tad....didn't help with the stumble or hesitation...So after tinkering I decided it was a carb issue and was having a hard time getting it to idle so I pulled the choke out and brought the rpm to around 1500(ear judgment) for a few minutes while gunning some B12 carb cleaner through the carb and into the engine. Push that choke back in and she's running fine again. Ok! Now my tune up parts are in! Go to Napa and get my new parts(plug wires, and plugs, and a can of engine restorer for the heck of it), Put the new plugs in(wires were already on) and fire it up...well...you guessed it...the knock starts. SO...Skip to today.

Fire it up this morning and its still knocking. Pull ALL the new plugs out and put the Old ones back in. Didn't help a thing...stick knocking...go around with a screw driver and whatever I could find and couldn't pin point the knock. Pull both valve covers to make sure everything is moving ok....did see a little more sludge in there than I wanted to....but oil is going up there and everything seemed ok. So while tinkering and just letting the engine idle..suddenly...ALL BY ITSELF the knocking goes away....rev it...starts to knock on deacceleration.....rev it again..same thing....rev it again..no knocking...rev it again...no knocking...stop and put the new plugs back in...start it..rev it..still no knocking.....Now it knocks once in awhile.....and for the past 20 minutes of it running there has been no knocking at all. Oh yeah..so I found out I have a new coil and cap and points from my 292 I6 chevy laying around so I decided to see if those would work and walla...the points and cap fit on there like a glove. Adjusted the points(without a feeler gauge) until the engine ran fine and that's where I'm at. Drove it around the field goosing it here and there and all seems fine. She's ticking away like she did when I fixed the crossed wires. Smooth as a swiss watch. So..to be honest...I think the motor cured itself(LOL)...did talk with a friend of mine who's kind of an expert on these and he thought that a lifter was sticking or that a piece of carbon was wedged somewhere. And if that's the case it seems to have burned it out. Anyhow...Also did find out I have a leaky head gasket on the top of the engine..I can see some water seeping out the top in front of the intake port so I'm a gonna be ordering new head gaskets as well. But as of now everything is back to normal. And yes I'm 16...just turned 16 a few days ago.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.