View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Truck: 1969 305E V-6 C2500 Wideside
1969_CM2590D is on a distinguished road
Default #6 not firing with eBay HEI, any ideas?

It's been pretty impossible to get the The Mule timed. Right now, to get it to run. I've got the timing way past 10 deg to get something resembling a smooth idle. Starting ain't easy either.This morning I checked for juice to the plugs. Hooked up the timing light on each plug wire to check for power. #6 was dead- no flash to the timing light. I fiddled with the boot at the distributor, and got a spotty and very intermittent (about no) timing flash. Also#3 and #2 flashed regularly, but had a very infrequent, rare "skip" to it. The rest are steady and ok.

I'm going to check the plug wire distributor boots first, and want to check and see if power is coming out of the #6 distributor terminal. So I'd like to know how I might check that output on #6. Of course, i want to hear any ides on what this might be and how to cure it. I've got a few ideas, but I'd also like to pick some brains on this.

Obviously with the original, it's all mechanical, and I'd easily sort that. Maybe something in the electronic guts of the HEI? What that might be? I'm doubting it's in the electronics as there is obviously power.I'm leaning to the boot/cap/rotor button zone

At least I'm not totally confounded anymore!

Thanks!

1969 GMC CM2500
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
1964 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe