View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2020, 09:09 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Quote:
Someone had operated the clutch without the transmission in place and the clutch disc had drop down. Somehow you need to operate the clutch to allow the clutch disc to move away from the bolt
Didn't see your post until now. I'll add that to my list of things to try next; priority 1. You're probably right. I have no idea how I'm going to activate it again, but I'll figure something out.

Another update on Papa Smurf. I finalized and secured my front brake lines. I secured one end of the line to my fuel line, then drilled a hole in my fender and secured both brake lines to that. I also rebent the second brake line to route it differently and tidy it up.

I also installed my steering shaft. Managed to get my drill press working, which made the job super easy. Last time the drill press didn't work was because it was plugged into an extension cord, and the extension was not plugged into power. Go figure. Once that was set, I measured the required length, cut it to fit, drilled necessary holes to secure it, and got it installed. I got the steering wheel pretty close to center, relative to the steering gear. I think it's off by a few teeth, but I'm happy with it. I can always pull the universal joint off the steering column to adjust it, or just deal with the fact that I'm losing a small amount of steering to my right.

Steering isn't done yet. I thought I had the correct socket for the pitman arm nut, but I don't. Waiting for one in the mail. I need to torque the pitman arm before I can install the steering linkage.

Lastly, I finally installed a new heater resistor and heater core (just in time for summer!). The resistor is located on the backside of the passenger side duct. Disconnect it from the firewall (3 screws), then disconnect it from the other duct (2 screws). The duct should wiggle out and give easy access to the resistor. One of the thumbnails is upside down, but if you click it the image will orient itself properly.

Small rant: The LMC heater core was less than ideal. The heater core was subtly different from the OEM one, but it was just enough of a difference that I had to make small modifications to my heater core box. The hangers for the core did not fit properly on the new core, so i had to drill a new hole in both hangers in order to get them to work. Not a huge issue, just annoying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200408_191027[1].jpg (3.17 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200408_191101[1].jpg (2.19 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200408_192210[1].jpg (2.33 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200410_122521[1].jpg (2.30 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200410_171949[1].jpg (2.61 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200410_153500[1].jpg (1.89 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200410_160555[1].jpg (2.39 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20200410_160540[1].jpg (2.05 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)