View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2021, 05:07 AM

Truck: 1966 C1000
malice is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 C1000 cab repair panels

I've started the restoration of my 1966 C1000 and am currently working on the driver side replacing the cab floor (includes the inner rocker), the lower portion of the 'A' pillar, the outer rocker and footwell panel. Replacement panels specific to a '66 GMC are easily obtainable however…they're not fitting as advertised. I'll try my best to explain what I'm seeing and hopefully someone here has come across this and knows what I need to do.

The original front cab support has 6 bolt holes which the cab floor, footwell panel, the 'A' pillar and the rear mount for the front fender all bolt into.
Cab floor - the 3 forward holes are supposed to line up with all 3 holes of the fender mount. The middle and bottom holes line up perfect but top hole is about 1/4" too short…and the front edge doesn't meet with the firewall quite right.
Footwell panel has 3 holes. The middle and right holes line up perfect with the cab floor and the left hole lines up with the corresponding fender mount hole. So the spacing between the middle and left hole of the footwell are correct but the corresponding holes in the cab floor are not. Don't vendors know that the holes of all 3 pieces (fender mount, cab floor and footwell) are supposed to align?!!
'A' pillar replacement piece - the original has 2 holes on the left and 3 on the right; the replacement has 3 on the right but only 1 on the left. It's not difficult to drill another hole but it doesn't match the contour of the pillar either. It is twisted to face slightly backward where the original is not. I was able to twist it straight and I think it will work but I shouldn't have to do that for a direct replacement part.
Outer rocker - I can see the bottom is not going to line up with the cab corner but I haven't worked with it enough to speak to what's wrong yet. Being the most visible piece, I sure hope it's not too far off.

The footwell piece works and I can accept the 'A' pillar piece, but the cab floor…that's cutting, reshaping and welding which is not something I should have to do for direct replacement parts. I've tried 3 different types of replacement pieces from 2 different vendors hoping they'd fit different…they don't.

Am I seeing the difference between Chevy and GMC? I wouldn't think so since the pieces are sold to replace both Chevy/GMC applications. Or perhaps the difference between standard and custom cab? I suspect I have a custom cab but, from what I've read here, the only difference is in the trim…or maybe not?

Sorry for such a long post but hopefully my explanation is clear. Any insight and/or direction would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CabFloor to FrontFender.JPG (12.0 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg CabFloor to Footwell.JPG (12.1 KB, Multiple views, 60 clicks)
File Type: jpg FenderMount.JPG (13.4 KB, Multiple views, 60 clicks)