View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2021, 05:50 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500
Caseyjones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 Palomino Tan build

Made quite a bit of progress in the last 5 months -
Snagged a rear end out of a 1965 C10 while on vacation in Montana...hauled it back in our rental minivan.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Gathered up the rest of the rear suspension parts and started stripping down the back of the truck:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Put it back together with c-notches, 5" lower springs and 2" blocks. Relocated the upper rear shock mounts too.

Front suspension got some mystery lowering springs (maybe listed as 1.5" but definitely dropped more than that), CPP modular C20-to-C10 conversion spindles, new ball joints and tie rod ends, and a collapsible steering shaft:

Going to disc brakes meant a master cylinder change. I used a 1" bore master cylinder and ended up adding a 7" single diaphragm booster, along with drilling a new pushrod hole in the pedal 1" closer to the floor. I like the feel on this setup, it's not over-boosted like my other truck. I was able to use 55-57 booster brackets and bolt directly to the firewall. Installed all new brake lines on the front, replaced a bad line going to the rear, too.

I had some stock 15x6" steel wheels, and bought a pair of 15x8" for the rear. I'm really happy with the stance.

Early on I could tell the carburetor was worn out, and the radiator revealed some significant leaks after I put a new radiator cap on it and built a bit of pressure. So it got a new Holley carb and a new Champion radiator. Really happy with both.

I've also managed to get the damaged bed side straight enough for my purposes and finish off the high-hump conversion that was started long ago when the transmission was changed from a 3-speed to a 4-speed:

After all of this I was able to drive the truck safely and find out what else it needed. It was pretty obvious that the clutch and transmission are both hammered. But otherwise there were no bad noises or leaks from the engine, the suspension and steering are working pretty well and the electrical system is fully functional.

My plan has been to convert the truck to short wheelbase. Since I'll need a new driveshaft anyway I'm also going to install an AX15 transmission. I found great deals on a used Novak adapter and a transmission from a Jeep Comanche. I finally found a good part number for the slip yoke too. I plan to start the conversion after the holidays.

I can't wait to get the next phase done so I can really start putting some miles on it and get a good feel for this engine. More to come!

Last edited by Caseyjones; December 15th, 2021 at 05:58 AM.