View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:46 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too much timing?

X2 with everything George said. When I bumped the timing up to 10 degrees and then hooked the advance pump to Manifold timing...the engine idled Super smooth...as seen in the video I posted....But, it had some hesitation coming off idle and under wot it would back fire(Partly a 4 down to 2 adapter problem as well). I then backed the timing down to 6 initial and manifold advance...still seemed a bit rough...harder starting and not as smooth....I then brought the timing up to 10 initial and ported advance....Bingo...found that sweet spot. Engine is harder cold starting, but when it's warm it only takes 1/2 a crank, and the engine pulls very well through all the ranges and when cruising I have full advance. I do have to wonder if the roughness in your engine has to do with valves or a vacuum leak?

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.