View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2018, 12:09 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1963 Custom Suburban Carryall - 95% original, all 3 seats, Mark IV A/C, PS/PB, 305E V6, Palamino Tan
62Burb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Evaluating 305E engine noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey478 View Post
Top of heads looks normal. I would replace all of the push rods. Definitely do the hammer check of valve movement. On valves with no bent push rods try it, not hitting them like you were driving a nail but hard enough to make the valve 'pop'. Do not hit the keeper edge, just squarely on top of the valve. If it is stuck it either will not go down and pop back up with the same force it took to do it on a good one or will go down a bit and not return as it should. With rocker arms off look for any valves that are sitting at a lower height than others. If they are stuck bad enough, in the open position their height from the top of the spring to the head will be shorter than others.
So far so good with the valves; one was definitely still stuck but yielded to the hammer. They all appear at same height. i should have had the pushrods by now but the Amazon shipper screwed up and sent me "2" instead of " 2 sets of 6' so i went with Rock Auto and will have them Monday.

I pulled all the pushrods out to make sure only the 3 I knew about were bent. When I went to slip them back in place (awaiting replacement) one of the #5 pushrods hung up, and will not fully insert. Not wanting to do any damage, I'm wondering how best to deal with this when the new rods go in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.