View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2016, 08:19 PM

Truck: 1960 short bed, step side
60ShortStpeGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Black Widow Build (1960 1/2 ton)

Quote:
Does this bearing look like the old one?
There are two throwout bearings for these trucks. A long (or tall) and a short. I suspect you need the long one, I also suspect that the bearing when the pedal isn't pushed down sits loose and doesn't contact the fingers on the pressure plate at all.

Either that or there needs to be some adjustment made on the pushrod to snug the system up.

The disc *should* be pressed against the flywheel and pressure plate when the clutch -isn't- depressed. I've never looked to see how much space is created when the pedal is depressed, but it likely isn't much.

While I should have throw outs of both types in my trucks, I am not pulling the transmissions so I can take pictures (and the ground is swampy so crawling under is a nasty proposition) as most (if not all) of my trucks have that same, or similar, very "light" transmission.

-If- the throwout is fine, and the pushrod length is fine... then _gremlins_.
Aha! You make a couple of very interesting points.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I'll take your word about the clutch plate and scratch it off the list for now. And the slave cylinder push rod is almost maxed out. I even placed it on the outer end of the fork for additional travel/leverage.

The new throw out bearing was pretty close to the old one, but, if memory serves, not as tall. Also, I'm pretty sure the throw out bearing is not pressing against the fingers of the pressure plate when the clutch is not engaged.

Thinking about your feedback, it would seem that my problem could be solved if I had more travel in my clutch pedal or slave cylinder push rod. So you're probably spot on - the extra travel could be absorbed with a taller throw out bearing.

Thanks, that gives me something to go on.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?