Thread: Excited wire
View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2019, 04:43 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Excited wire

Alternator terminal 2 goes to the big honkin battery stud on the alternator (that's the sensing wire). Terminal no. 1 to an idiot light, out of the light to ignition "on". This provides necessary resistance and glows if you are not charging properly. (This is the exciter wire).
The indicator bulb is easy to do and nice to have a light to warn you.

A motor that keeps running can also mean you have the coil wired to hot, on the ignition switch, instead of "on".

You say you are looking for the exciter wire? You mean from the old generator? I don't know what wire would be the "exciter wire" for that. The internet has diagrams on how to convert gen to alt and what to do with each wire. I would just hook up alt as I describe. It's just a matter of a sizable cable to the alt pos stud, terminal 2 to that stud, then just one more wire from terminal 1 thru a bulb to ignition "on", or thru a device you think better, to ignition "on".

Last edited by AZKen; February 12th, 2019 at 09:26 PM.