View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2023, 09:02 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Asked a local company that specializes in spray welding for repair work to build up the camshaft by spray welding. They advise against it due to the poor bonding to hardened surfaces, and the risk of the new surface flaking off.

Too much work and trouble for added lift. Might make custom 1.6 rockers in the future, we'll see.

I've sent the camshaft to the cam grinder today together with my specs.

Also took a look at the valve lifters - measured the face surface with a dial indicator by sweeping the lifter on a flat surface. The originals are cupped in (concave) from the wear. They should have a crown. (convex)

I also bought new Melling lifters to test, they have a flat face

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

But, I also measured hardness with a Vickers tester of the lifter faces. I wanted to check the new Melling lifters vs the OEM lifters for hardness. I tested 2 of each lifter:
OEM lifters:
No. 1: 629 HV (56 hRC)
No. 2: 690 HV (58 hRC)

Melling lifters:
No. 1: 750 HV (60.5 hRC)
No. 2: 748 HV (60.5 hRC)

Interesting results. I figured the Melling lifters were much softer, low-quality pieces. Properly refaced, they should last a long time.

Now to reface the lifters. Since no one refaces lifters anymore in the Netherlands, I'm going to think up something myself...