View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2022, 07:20 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default The seldom seen 1966 Sport Trim option - a REAL short wideside has been found!

Hey guys - been a while as usual. I drift from 60-66 GMC projects to 55-59 projects and back and forth, so my posts are intermittent but I have a new love to show you. I have not scoured the earth or asked any of you to dig me one up, but secretly always wanted to find and buy a real short bed that came with the uber rare "Sports Trim option" interior. I have watched and waited and watched and waited for years and years and never found one that could be bought. Found about 5 all totaled and all were longbeds and dont think any were for sale. So, a buddy up in Michigan found this one a few days ago and despite its "rough survivor" grade body condition, it certainly represents what was at one time a beautiful factory Red and White Custom short wideside so I had to have it not knowing if I'd live long enough to see another one LOL. Might require a lot of parts some of you can assist me in finding or buying from you (hint hint), but this is the type of GMC we all dream of finding so it definitely deserves to be saved and resurrected.

I don't know how many newer members there are in this forum who might not know, so I will just add this little blurb about the special Sports Trim Option package to catch everyone up on what it was.

The Sport trim package was a 1966 one year only interior option offered on Custom and non-Custom (called Deluxe) trucks which included a special two toned Charcoal Gray vinyl 1966-only version of the later "buddy buckets" popular in the 67-68 owners crowd. The new seats came with a 3rd smaller seat in the center that had a folding backrest which doubled as an armrest when not in use. under the 3rd seat was a hidden metal storage compartment similar to a console. Special matching two-toned Charcoal vinyl door panel covers were added to the doors, and the dash cap was painted a contrasting Charcoal color. Loop carpeting was part of the package and was a dark Bronze color to blend the Fawn interior paint with the Charcoal Gray seats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red & White 66 GMC Sport Custom.jpg (135.8 KB, Multiple views, 40 clicks)
File Type: jpg Red & White 66 GMC Sport Custom Seats.jpg (93.2 KB, Multiple views, 28 clicks)
File Type: jpg Red & White 66 GMC Sport Custom rear driver view.jpg (387.9 KB, Multiple views, 26 clicks)
File Type: jpg Red & White 66 GMC Sport Custom dash.jpg (200.8 KB, Multiple views, 33 clicks)
File Type: jpg Sports Trim brochure image.jpg (52.4 KB, Multiple views, 32 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)