View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:57 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4x4 Rear view mirror Question

You drive a closed box straight truck, or even a semi-truck with a closed van trailer, you get real used to NOT using the then worthless inside mirror. Even the C-65 Dumptrucks and spreader trucks and old farm trucks I drove the inside mirrors would have been worthless. The readymix trucks you could actually see something out the back cab window, but the full West Coast mirrors on the doors worked much better.

Good Friday of 2000 or 2001 a lady driving her husbands Ram 1500 was delivering a toy doll house to her sister, didn't have the pieces propery secured in her truck, made a partial delivery at 70 mph almost into my seat beside me, shattered the far right side of the windshield and about $2500 damage overall. Glass shop replaced my windshield right away, and the pressure sensitive adhesive didn't hold, first warm sunny day the inside mirror fell off. I never tried to reattach it. Mirrors on the doors serve my needs much better.

Trucks back in the '40's and '50's didn't have much for mirrors, wasn't until about late 1950's or 1960 when mirrors comparable to today's mirrors became common.

Speaking of mirrors, You guys remember vent windows? My '96 F-250 had them. I smoked most of those years, '96 to '14, I never in 18 years and almost 300,000 miles ever put a cigarette butt out in the ashtray. I averaged about 15 miles per cigarette.