Thread: 1960 Gmc 305 v6
View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2021, 06:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1960 Gmc 305 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDADDY View Post
Picked up this beauty a few weeks ago, started to tear into her, found this site, and I'm getting excited about this Truck and this engine! I need some feedback from you gearheads on going forward. My plan is to drive this Truck.I want it to drive 70mph on the interstate with no problems, without rpms redlining. I am pulling engine, and taking to machine shop for complete overhaul. Need advise.......I'm not big on loud *** trucks that can do burn outs. Would like my daughter to learn how to drive a stick in this truck.It was a 3 on the tree, but somebody changed it to floor shift before I got it.Questions..........

Do they make different gears for rear end? Or do I have to replace rear end with something more newer? Its the granny tranny.

Disc brakes?

Suspension?

Holly carb rebuild?

Any comments would be great Thanks

Zdaddy

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum, Zdaddy! We may be a little slow answering all your questions, but don't give up. I'm sure most of your questions will get answered eventually.

You don't say whether your truck is half or three-quarter ton. The half ton rear ends lend themselves to taller highway gears of course. Stock half ton ratios were 3.07, 3.54, and 3.92. Quickest way to find out what you've got is to roll it slowly forward for one revolution of the rear wheels while having a second person count the number of times the driveshaft goes around.

If you've got a three quarter ton, most likely it's got a 4.10 or 4.56. If I remember right, the tallest ratio you can fit is a 3.73. That's what I did to a truck I bought several years ago that came with a 4.56 rear end -- changed to a 3.73. With 32" tall tires, freeway cruising was no problem.

Looks like you're off to a good start! Keep us informed of your progress.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435