Thread: No spark
View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2017, 03:05 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS61 View Post
Checking meter. It's 12 but when cranking it goes to .18. I have black meter probe on the pos side of battery and the red to the pos of cool. Is that right? I did set gap on points also.
The Red lead goes to the positive side of the coil. The Black lead goes to ground or battery negative. With the starter cranking the engine the voltage should be close to battery voltage (9-11 volts with a good battery, starter will create a large voltage drop during cranking). With just the ignition switch in the run position it should be near battery voltage (12.5-13 volts) with the points open. If the point is close the voltage will drop because the resistor wire (between the coil and the firewall connector), is use to prevent burning up the point while the engine is running. Once the engine is running the voltage will vary somewhat with rpm due to the amount of time (dwell) the coil is passing current with the points closed.

The .18 volts you have is the voltage drop from the battery through the starter solenoid and out the solenoid "I" terminal to the coil.

Last edited by James; July 12th, 2017 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Added information