Thread: No spark
View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2017, 10:09 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: No spark

Just remember black wire on a meter or a truck battery is negative only. Red wire on meter or truck battery is positive only. Otherwise you will damage truck or meter. At this point, you need a mechanic or friend to help that has experience.

The starting system is set up such that when the starter draws a big load from the battery during starting, as James says, the coil is supplied direct voltage also. But after starting, the coil has a secondary/resistive circuit that provides reduced voltage to save "wear" on the points during driving. You should have two wires going to coil positive. I was just trying to find out if this system was maybe miswired so that little or no voltage was being sent to coil during starting, thus no spark. But when not cranking, and switch was turn to on, it shows 12V at coil.
James has spelled out that very well. This may not be the problem, just needs to be checked out like the points gap and rotor and condenser and firing order does. Because according to you, you have a no spark condition. It's going to be the ignition wiring, the coil, the timing or inside the distributor.

These are checked one at a time. We all would have our work cut out for us if we were doing it and we have experience. You have no experience and it is not possible to do these checks over the internet without some knowledge. You need to read, watch YouTube and take a community college class to get up to speed or it will take many years to get the knowledge and mechanics ain't cheap. Use the internet. I know you are using it here but we can't find the problem without your hands. We can't train on how to use a meter and then train how to troubleshoot. We can't train the entire ignition system, timing, point gaping...etc. Maybe a member lives near you and will help. I do have a lot of patience and want to help. That is what this site is all about but I see a big problem with synergy.

Last edited by AZKen; July 12th, 2017 at 11:21 PM.