View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 3/4 ton - finally home!

Hi Group. Its been a while. The ticker is out of time again. Lots of fun with that. I share a cardiologist with my 87 year old grandad and he came to mine, not me to his. Well Steve, First with the neat survivor truck. IMO DO NOT PUT A T-5 in a 3/4 ton truck, unless you want to use it as a car. IT WILL DIE when used in a vehicle with a gvw over 5000#. Jeep used it in the 80,s in cj-7's behind the GM iron duke 4 cylinder And I saw lots blow apart. The reality is they are car trannies that have no business in 3/4 ton trucks or any 4x4. Second the 3.54 swap works well with the low rpm v6 in a 3/4 ton and a 420 trans. I have found it to be a good compromise. The dana 60 rear 4.10 to 3.54 swap does not require a carrier change so you can keep your powerlok. Check with a 4x4 shop in your area most of them take out the high gears and swap in low gears. They may just charge you the labor and incidental cost involved. Finally I have never spent more than a ben Franklin on this swap, I find good used Ring and pinions, mostly in dodge vans. A few things like a seal and oil and a hour or so setting it up. and a ratio adjuster. Done!!