Thread: New guy
View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODJOHN View Post
There is a factory double crank pulley. It came on the motor when I bought it. A V-8 pulley does not have the right bolt circle, it is too small. At present I am working on an aftermarket set and will post it when I find out. Here is a picture on the pump with a single pulley off the motor. You can get a picture of how it may work. Hope this helps. John

Thanks, John: Your bracket seems to mount on differently than mine. The adjuster on mine is on the side, while the one you have seems to be on the bottom. Some awesome detail on the pictures, thanks! Mine seems to have been modified on the adjuster side of the bracket, and I have made an additional modification to allow for greater range of adjustment by adding a bit of strap steel. I can probably make mine work better just by adding the double pulley on the crank. I will have to see if a Small Block Chevy pulley can be modified to work by drilling out extra holes or something. I just do not want to pull the pulley off the truck if I do not have to. As soon as you start messing with something that ain't broke, the gremlins show up. Ya know?

On a positive note, it was slow at work on Friday, so I pulled the truck into a bay and tore my heater apart. It was howling like the Irish Banshees on a cold winter night every time I turned it on. I greased the bushings in the motor ( I had to tear it down, and it was a pain putting the brushes back in without the proper tools) but once it was back together, the Banshees seemed mollified. I now have defrosters (My boss joked that the mufflers heat the truck just FINE and that I do not NEED a heater)! I cannot argue with that, but it would be NICE to get my breath off the windshield on these "cold" winter mornings in South Texas. One hundred percent humidity makes it HARD to get the moisture off the windshield with just the vent windows, you know? What I found odd was that there are several youtube "tutorials" on how to replace the motor (and the heater core) on the 65/66 C10 Chevy (and by extension the GMC) but NOTHING for the older models with the "Recirculating Heater." From the looks of it, the '63 could be modified by putting the later model "Fresh Air Heater" (perhaps it was an option?) but the repair was a bit more difficult because the heater motor for MY '63 was UNDER the cowl inside the cab and I had to find and loosen the bolts that hold the whole heater assembly in place to get the motor and fan out. My repair should last quite a while, but if I start having issues again, I may buy a new motor and perhaps make my OWN video on how to replace the blower motor on the "Recirculating Heater" on a GMC. I would have done it this time, but my stupid iPhone is having issues with "Ghost" pictures that are taking up memory and will not allow me to take any more pictures or make any more videos. I had to use my iPad to finish the video about shifting without a clutch because of that stupid issue. There were HUNDREDS of BLANK pictures and videos on the phone that I discovered when I started deleting stuff. I got rid of them all, but I do not know yet if that has resolved my issue.