Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:30 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default inline six woes

I have owned my truck for about 3 months. Having thoroughly read the "head gasket" thread, I felt I needed to start a different thread. That is, I couldn't find an answer to my problems.
So, I have a beautifully painted and clean engine and compartment (not show but very impressive). The motor doesn't sound bad and seems to be steady from a visual and sound appearance when standing in front of it. It doesn't hesitate once I get going, though, there is a slight vibration with clutch in and on initial take off. A few problems that I thought I should throw out there that may be explainable.
1.) The truck spays blackened liquid on most start-ups. I had to have the dizzy moved when I first got the truck as it couldn't be timed (vacuum advance was against block). This step helped lessen the carbon on the plugs and I was able to turn the mixture screw in about a quarter turn.
2.) The engine is not smooth if you feel the exhaust - erratic puff during idle.
3.) It burns rich, or incorrectly. Very few people tail-gate. I'm sure its the sulfury, acidic stench. The carb looks to be a re-manufactured Rochester one barrel; it responds well to mixture and idle turns.
4.) It doesn't seem to smoke at all while driving. Not even the condensation look. The only time I see any smoke (whitish blue-gray) is on start up. As I mentioned above, my muffler does seem to be holding water, or?
5.) I haven't ruled out head gasket but I would expect steam from exhaust if that were bad. Or, a milkiness in the oil.
6.) Timing marks on pulley don't match engine sound. The best I can get the engine to operate is when the pulley mark is on top of the pulley.
7.) Lastly, the prev-owner said to error on the side of rich when setting the carb. Not sure this was good advise as the plugs were coal black under his settings.

I don't like the vibration I feel when stopped at light. And I am bugged by exhaust smell. New plugs didn't help. If this sounds like your truck, and/or you know what the problem might be, please, please chime in. Thanks.

Last edited by Pops; July 22nd, 2014 at 04:45 AM. Reason: grammar and missing topic