Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inline six woes

Thanks for taking time out to respond. To make sure I don't send advisers off on a goose chase, there are a couple more things worth mentioning:
1. I have a Petronix insert in distrib-- I know nothing about this product
2. I'm not sure how to test coil function. The friend who re-positioned the dizzy couldn't get #1 plug wire to spark off block. He didn't say why. Just said it should have.
3. All newer ignition parts on car; also gas tank, filters, etc. I have timed engine with light, and by ear. Still can't address smell, watery start-ups, or vibration at low RPM's while sitting at light. (and timing mark seems off when using light)
4. The truck came with a power brake booster add-on. Looks like it was meant for the truck - not custom. Do these create vacuum problems if not performing perfectly?
5. It sounds contradictory, but can turning the mixture screw more in counterclockwise direction actually address vibration. It would seem I was going backwards if i make it
more rich.

If I've thrown too much out there, please accept my apology. For now, could you please address coil function, and booster question. The PO had plugged off the vacuum line to booster saying he preferred the feeling of original non-power brakes. I changed booster grommet and put on new hose. I prefer power brakes by far. But, I am now a little suspect about why he really disabled the booster. I'm not throwing any stones right now, but I thought I'd share the last point so I'm not tearing up and replacing things when its in the vacuum system (at booster).