View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too much timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Clarke:
That does sound normal. I didn't have a gauge on mine, but mine does the same. Give it a bit of throttle and the advance arms starts to move....give it more and to a point it stops. And since I'm running a 4 barrel that was on Ported Vacuum. I do need to get another video up. lol Been sick and busy so I haven't gotten around to it.
Greetings TJ!

Sorry to hear that you've been a bit under the weather. And I'm sorry to "rain on your parade" so to speak, but you should have full vacuum at idle where your vacuum advance is connected to. That's why it is recommended when setting your ignition timing that the vacuum advance hose be disconnected from the advance and plugged (temporarily) with the butt end of a drill bit, or some other object to prevent the engine from having a rough idle while setting the timing. If you have vacuum, and your vacuum advance is working properly, you should notice a perceptible increase in engine idle RPM when the vaccum advance is reconnected. You definitely should not have to increase your engine RPM to get the vacuum advance to "move." You should also have no less than 15 inches (PSI is a misnomer here) of vacuum at the fitting that your vacuum advance is connected to. And not to make anyone sound dumb here, but the mistake is made by many people refering to a vacuum reading as "PSI." This was one of my Automotive Technology teacher's pet peeves--refering to vacuum as "PSI" instead of the proper terminology of "15 inches of vacuum."