View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2017, 05:22 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: '65 Dash Cluster Wiring Terminals

I'll try a different approach. Deleted my suggested Companies who have bullet contacts. Seems no interest. First: The female contacts in your connector shell must have a retention device otherwise the male pins on the printed circuit on the back of the cluster would push them out upon insertion. I suspect that the reason you pushed one contact out forward is that the crimp end is shaped such that it can't be pulled out the back. In other words, retained. It should be simple to find the proper size bullet that has a similar flat crimp...or make it flat with a pair of pliers. It ain't rocket surgery.
I believe you can find a bullet contact that will work. First you have to measure the OD of the contacts on the printed circuit as you have said. You would need to provide that info for any of us to help find an aftermarket part. Otherwise getting links and companies is just a waste of time. This will tell you what size you need and if the amp .093 contacts that were linked will work or one of the ones in the companies I mentioned will work. (.156, .159,.180) Obviously the wire has to be pulled thru the shell, then crimped in such a way as to create a shape with will not get pushed out. Then pulled back into the shell. You do not need to be picky about what kind of crimp in a automotive application. They won't come loose. Get the size first and worry about the crimp when parts are received.
Does not matter what you call them..Packard 56, Amp, Delphi..as long as they work. I.E. fit the PC contacts and fit the shell.

Another option is forget the shell, use an insulated bullet female on each wire and strain relieve the wire bundle in a wire clamp attached to the back of the cluster. You can provide a long length of "service loop" to accommodate this method and it will also provide for the extra wire for future gauges. Not being original in a place where no one can see is OK.
This is of course if you can not make the shell work.

It is nice of you to help the younger guy like I'm doing for you. (that's a joke)
I did check AAW to see if they sell the contact before I first posted. Didn't see any. A call or email would be a good idea. Their harness is the best in the business as you know. Very complete Classic Update Series kits. Many extra parts. They are also the highest price. Like buying Steele rubber over "off shore" rubber.

On a strange brainstorm note: It may be possible to cut off the old contacts with about a 1/2" pigtail and strip the insulation off the 1/2" to bare copper. Then crimp/solder a butt splice to new wire. It is the old insulation that is stiff, not the stranded conductor within. That idea has a big problem: The splice may interfere with the shell. Not sure. May make you think about other ideas.

Last edited by AZKen; May 6th, 2017 at 08:56 PM.