View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2016, 02:27 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: The saga continues - Sputtering, loss of power when accelerating

I had an old Fairmont before with a badly rusted fuel tank. Consequently, I had to carry a tank of compressed air in the back seat so that when the sock in the tank filled with rust I could pull the line off the pump and blow air back through the fuel system (which blew the rust off the sock) and then suck petrol back up the line, reattach it to the fuel pump and keep going.

For the short term (IE getting me home today) could I do something similar as a test? I don't have a tank of compressed air, but I'm thinking if I blow into the fuel line really hard I might be able to lung it? Except I'm assuming since this is an electric fuel pump I won't have to suck petrol back up the line afterwards?

Also, there's a shutoff valve on the petrol tank. Presumably if I close it then that should keep the tank from emptying when I pull a line off?

I know some of these are going to be 'duh' questions, I'm just well aware of my own limitations when it comes to experience and whatnot, so I'd rather ask a dumb question than assume that I know what I'm talking about and make a dumb mistake.