View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2016, 05:43 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The saga continues - Sputtering, loss of power when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
I had an old Fairmont before with a badly rusted fuel tank. Consequently, I had to carry a tank of compressed air in the back seat so that when the sock in the tank filled with rust I could pull the line off the pump and blow air back through the fuel system (which blew the rust off the sock) and then suck petrol back up the line, reattach it to the fuel pump and keep going.

For the short term (IE getting me home today) could I do something similar as a test? I don't have a tank of compressed air, but I'm thinking if I blow into the fuel line really hard I might be able to lung it? Except I'm assuming since this is an electric fuel pump I won't have to suck petrol back up the line afterwards?

Also, there's a shutoff valve on the petrol tank. Presumably if I close it then that should keep the tank from emptying when I pull a line off?

I know some of these are going to be 'duh' questions, I'm just well aware of my own limitations when it comes to experience and whatnot, so I'd rather ask a dumb question than assume that I know what I'm talking about and make a dumb mistake.
You won't be able to blow hard enough. haha I'd just cruise it home and on the weekend take the time to fix it, so that way you can Find the possible problem and know you've fixed it. When mine had issues it happened at the worst possible time...leading me to think it was one of a million issues. When my engine lost power I was pulling a hill at 57 mph on a 105 degree day. Lost power and thought it had eaten rings. Looked through the mirrors for smoke and saw nothing...next thought was ignition or fuel...limped to the top and pulled over. Idled perfect....took a non load throttle fine....but you could grab the filter and feel the fuel pulsing really bad. I thought it was boiling, but it was really pulsing because of the clogged filter BEHIND the pump. That's the issue...Pumps are made to Pump...not Pull. The pump was having such a hard time Pulling that it couldn't keep up with the needs of the motor at speeds above 45 or under hard acceleration. Thus making me think things were worse than they were. So I decided to redo the Whole system starting with filters....and there it was...a jam packed filter behind the pump. Lucky I didn't fry the pump. I them completely removed the sending unit from the tank and saw there was no pickup screen....replaced it with a new one I had already() and cleaned out the lines. Went ahead and installed a USA made pump in with two fresh filters one in behind and one in front of the carb for more cheap insurance. And am now running at 10 PSI cold and 6 PSI hot and happy. I need to regulate it down to 5 as eddys hate high pressure but no issues yet.

Unless you have all the tools you need, I'd limp home and wait until the weekend to do any work.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.