View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:17 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Ok guys I put the spring on it like this but it still made the squealy noise. I did find out that it's not making the noise in the transfer case so it's got to be tranny related. I drained it today and prepared to remove it.

I've got the linkage off and I figured out how to get the shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell out. The transmission though, does it bolt to the flywheel or just those two bolts on the crossmember?
Hey, Fetch, no the tranny doesn't bolt to the flywheel. The transmission input shaft pokes through the clutch disk that is between the flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to clean some grease up to see it but the transmission may have 2 bottom bolts through the bellhousing from the flywheel side into the transmission case. They may go from the outside in also, but I have never dealt with a 3 speed in one of these trucks. Then you probably will have to take out the transmission hump inside of the cab to get at the top two bolts that go through the transmission case into the bell housing. The '62 K2500 I had was a 4speed so I can't tell you exactly what to do but all standard tranny engines have a bellhousing that bolts to the engine block, then the transmission bolts to the bellhousing in some form, usually 4 bolts. The two bolts on the crossmember are the bellhousing mounts that hold up the rear of the engine and support the transmission.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday