View Single Post
Old December 22nd, 2023, 02:22 PM

Truck: 68 2500
Troyport is on a distinguished road
Default Clutch pivot arm

Hi all, doing a clutch on my 68 GMC 351 V6 with the NP435. Had the clutch and pressure plate rebuilt to assure correct parts. Bought a new clutch fork and it is identical to the worn out one that I removed. Welded and hand ground the pivot ball, because I couldn't find a new one, conforms to the socket perfectly, snaps in nice. New throwout bearing, same as old one. Ready for tranny install. However, I can see that the throwout bearing will not be centered on the fork. That is, the ears of the fork will not sit at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Looks like the fork is short. I am looking at it through the bell housing where the transmission will bolt up, I have the truck high enough that I can sit on the ground and look perfectly level at the pressure plate, so I can hold the throwout bearing by hand perfectly centered on the pressure plate, and the fork ears are about 11:30 and 6:30, and will get more off center when the clutch pedal is depressed. Is this okay? Or do I have the wrong clutch pivot fork? (that is, the new one and therefore the old one, are wrong.

Last edited by Troyport; December 22nd, 2023 at 02:32 PM.