View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2019, 11:43 AM

Truck: 1969 4000 ToroFlow, Massey Ferguson 1100 with a 478, Payloader with a 305, all adapted in my shop
massey478 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 478 Diesel vs Gas?

Toroflow head gaskets are a big problem to find. I have an ACAD drawing of the gasket which I sent to a water jet cut shop. I found the soft copper needed to make a copper gasket. The shop quoted about $30 to cut two gaskets if I supplied the copper sheets. We have one that needs a gasket but we have not gotten around to having them made. We liked the motor, got great fuel mileage. I have a 478 gas in a Massey Ferguson 1100 farm tractor. What really helped it was to install an MSD ignition system. You can choose an MSD 6 or 6AL box. The MSD 6 does not have a rev limiter where the MSD6AL has a place to plug in a little chip that limits the maximum rpm. Various maximum rpm chips are available. Starts better and does not foul the plugs. But then we always open up the carb main jets a bit and I stretch the power jet rod spring a bit to make it come in sooner or the motors do not run right.This is because of the alcohol mix fuel we get nowadays. One has to put more of it in the air/fuel mix to get the same performance of the old good gas these trucks are designed to run on. I quit using the alcohol blend fuel in any older vehicles and farm equipment and even small engines. I buy the 90 octane alcohol free fuel. Yes it is more pricey but we had so many fuel system components destroyed by the alcohol causing time consuming and costly repairs that we consider it well worth it. And then if alcohol blend sits in a fuel tank too long it will phase separate and you will have to drain it out and put in new. The stuff is total crap in my view!! Thanks EPA!!! That is true for the bio diesel now also. It can be destructive.