View Single Post
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:43 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 305 V6 to sm465 Transmission

Quote:
Fuel economy is secondary here. The most important things to consider are: will the engine hold together and will it do the job. I believe the big block v6 will be a better performer than the standard line of v8's.
Greetings ur991!

You should have no problem with your big Block GMC V-6 holding together so long as you don't over-rev the engine. This is just my opinion, and I might be wrong, but anything over 3500 RPM might be pushing it a little bit, but I doubt that you want to make a speedster out of your truck. These engines were designed for high torque at low engine speeds. I was warned before I put the GMC V-6 in my 63 Chevy that it would be a gas guzzler, however, there wasn't a dimes worth of difference in fuel economy between the Chevy 292 I-6 and the GMC 305 V-6, and the V-6 would definitely outdo the 292 on low end torque. It will definitely outdo your small block V-8 on torque, and be competitive on fuel economy. The GMC Big Block V-6 engines are perhaps the most durable engine line ever developed by GM, and it's a crying shame that they are no longer in production.