Thread: 60 Ball Joints
View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:45 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 3/4 Ton
Walys60 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 60 Ball Joints

Thanks Lewis,
So, I did end up popping the upper ball joint. I talked with some folks and came to the conclusion that it would just never hold grease so would be impractical to try to keep it. As far as the shafts, they're in great shape, certainly reusable. Maybe even the bushings would be...but there are NO seals to be found for them so cannot be salvaged. I HAVE to order the entire shaft/bushing/seal package simply because no one will sell just the seals. I did find a supplier that would sell just the bushings, but called them and they said 'no' to the seals, for the upper shaft. They actually said 'if it's not in the catalog, I can't help you'....because I'm talking to someone making minimum wage who knows nothing about the parts, only how to take your order and they can't refer me to anyone who does know. Very frustrating, this whole parts ordering process.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I will have new ball joints and control arm shafts, seals, bushings, etc. once I get the correct parts in. I will be keeping the wheel bearings/repacking etc. Thanks for the tip on the wheel seals and I will definitely do that replacement as well.