View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2020, 12:56 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 305 v6 oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironage View Post
Hi I’m working on a project 61 gmc fleet side with 305 v6 engine on it stars up and the oil pressure is 50 to 60 then after engine warms up at idle the oil pressure goes down to 5 if I rev the engine the oil pressure goes up as I accelerate my concern is at idle is it normal to be that low ?
Greetings, ironage!

5 PSI oil pressure at idle is extremely low. Oil pressure at 50 to 60 PSI with the engine cold should not drop below 35 t0 40 PSI with the engine at normal operating temperature. I would be listening for loose bearings in the engine. Loose Rod bearings will make a clattering noise, while loose main bearings will make a more dull thud like sound. If no loose bearings, it would be wise to check for a stuck relief valve or weak relief valve spring in the oil pump itself. I definitely would not advise you to drive your truck anywhere with only 5 PSI oil pressure at idle with the engine at normal operating temperature. you may find yourself sitting on the side of the road with catastrophic engine (failure) damage.