Thread: Brake Issue
View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2020, 06:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brake Issue

Jim A is right. The safest thing to do with brakes is have someone qualified look at it. If you're broke like I was when I was arm deep in Cecilia, you can do a recycling run on the brakes. Again, using the helper.

First, what are you doing by bleeding the brakes?
You're basically making sure you have no air bubbles in the system so you can smash the brakes and it won't hit a soft spot, keeping pressure on the brakes so they stop your butt before you become road pizza (or in the case of our tough 60's model trucks, kill someone in a coke can car!)

To do this, you'd fill your brake reservoir to almost full to allow for some sloshing as the pedal goes up and down. It won't really slosh, but it does move up and down a bit.

Then have a random foot from the neighborhood sit in the seat and be ready to mash the brakes while they play on their phone. This will take a while. Make sure they're entertained. Tell them when you yell "Mash" they mash THEN HOLD IT DOWN. Don't forget that part. If they pull up it may pull air back into the line. That's a no-no.
When you yell "Let UP!" they can let up.

You, meanwhile get your dirty work shirt on and crawl under there. Open the bleeder valve and put a hose on it or just let it drip into a clean container. Yell "Mash" and make sure they hold it. As the fluid runs out into your can, it'll slow down. As it slows close the valve and yell "Let up!".

Repeat this four times then take your can of saved fluid and pour it back in the reservoir if it's clean.

Repeat the refill four times. That's 12 times of yelling "Mash!" and "Let Up!" for each wheel.

This should be 99.9% sure have all the air out of that particular line. That's a lot of fluid to run through a brake line. If there's air in there it's tiny microbubbles and shouldn't be a problem. They'll sort themselves out as you drive, and empty themselves in the reservoir.

This is what I'd do if I was broke and needed to get her running with 100% certainty (on my part, your certainty may vary).

Again, it's worth noting that I'm not a mechanic, just a dude standing in front of another dude giving advice that is worth exactly what you paid for it. You might have a hole in the line somewhere, suck air in, and die in a fiery crash full of gas and fireworks that look beautiful on the evening news.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; June 23rd, 2020 at 07:12 PM.