Thread: Brake Issue
View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2020, 01:47 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoulas View Post
Hello, and thank you for your comments. I categorically disagree with your statements. Professional mechanics do not know how to repair and troubleshoot old vehicles. If they cannot connect a scanner to the built in computer , they are lost. I did take the truck to the local reputable mechanic several years ago. What did they do? They told me I needed new brakes. I approved the cost. They changed the brakes and never serviced the brake cylinder. Six months later all brake cylinders were leaking.

Is this the level of service you are recommending?

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself period. This is my plan. Anyone interested in helping, feel free to do so.
Servicing the brake cylinder isn't usually included in new brakes. They just swap the brakes and make sure they work. And it's usually done by a Brake Tech, which is car talk for "pimply teenager that needed a job". They are almost always not a mechanic.

Look on Yelp or the Neighborhood app and you'll find a reputable mechanic. Then call and ask him flat out, "do you know anything about older cars? I just want you to look at what I did and see if it looks good. I won't hold you responsible and I'll pay you a 1 hr shop fee for your trouble, even if it takes 10 minutes. "

If you talk to him like an old friend you'll probably get better results. Tell him you're new and this is what you did, and does that sound like a good way to do things. Or have him bleed the brakes and sit there and watch him. Ask questions. Then (most importantly) thank him for putting up with your newbie questions and teaching you a little bit more about the vehicle you love.

You can do all this stuff yourself but you've got to know WHY you're doing what youre doing or you'll make mistakes. Just like I did when I started out. Lots of them. costly ones. So costly...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.