View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2021, 07:30 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Overcharging alternator and buzzing voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscaynebirdie View Post
So... I checked the voltage from the positive battery post to the alternator output stud:0.2 volts. No volts read on the negative end.

However, I’m currently letting the truck run at idle at operating temp with headlights, high beams, and heater blower running. The voltage is currently at 12.3 and falling slowly... So turns out I don’t have something adjusted right in the regulator.
Voltage drop is great.

With the engine idling and the headlights on high and blower running, your voltage is doing what it is suppose to do. If you was to raise your rpm the voltage will come back up. Just remember you are normally driving so the engine rpm is higher all the time and the voltage will be where it needs to be. If you have ever seen a amps curve for an alternator you will notice the higher the rpm the more amps output you will have. Proper voltage setting is with everything turn off with a fast idle (approx. 1000 rpm).

Installing a 10SI alternator will provide more amps at idle. Which is something I am planning on doing when I repair the under the dash air conditioner.