Thread: Bed Wood
View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:26 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
When I restored the pickup several years ago which Clyde in SC now owns (the one in my avatar), I took a different path with the bed wood. I didn't want the planks with steel strips in between, so I replaced them with 3/4" AC exterior plywood. Then I had professionals cover the bed floor and up the sides of the bed with spray-in bedliner material. I also had the truck, including the bottom of the plywood, undercoated.

I saw lots of people at car shows walk past pickups with nice varnished planks for bed floors stop to check out my bed floor, ask questions about it, and want to feel it. I didn't do it to attract attention, I just wanted a smooth, durable floor so I could still haul stuff and not worry about scratching the floor.
Funny you said that. As of a couple of days ago, I have been thinking about the aspects of still being able to haul stuff, but not wanting to damage a nice new wood bed. I am actually contemplating cutting out the steel floor that's in there, fixing everything under it that needs fixing, then putting it back in; but back in in a way that allows me to more easily remove it in the future. Then I could coat the steel anyway I wanted. It is definitely durable and as a daily driver, no matter how much fixing I do on it, I still plan to use it as a truck.