View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2020, 11:38 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Congrats on finding the 351. There's no replacement for displacement. I wore out TWO Ford 300-6's, no matter what you did they were always s-l-o-w. And when you pushed them hard to run 65-70 they really burned A LOT of gas, like the '87 with factory EFI would drop to 11-12 mpg. Son's '93 Lightning would run 65-70 and get 14 mpg, lack of 4wd didn't effect mpg that much.
I did a complete brake system rebuild 5 yrs ago on my '96 F-250. I bought a complete stainless steel brake like kit from Classic Industries in New York State. My shop replaced everything in 6 hours, and everything included a new master cylinder, both frt brake calipers, and both rear wheel cylinders. So everything must have fit fine. My ONLY regret was my choice of flexible brake lines. My owner of my local NAPA store said his flex hoses were made in USA. They came a day late from the warehouse. The boxes AND hoses all said "Made in China" in big letters. I should have refused them. They haven't caused a problem but EVERYTHING else I've bought there has. Luckily all my other parts came from the same O-Reily's my mechanic uses.
Anyhow, nice to know the brakes will work if and when you really need them.